Do Headphones Improve running? When you ask this question to any runner, very few would refute that they do work. In fact, they would sing praises of how their speed and overall performance has improved since they started running with their headphones on. Not only do you feel pumped up during the runs, but you also find a consistent pace that you find comfortable while running. Furthermore, they turn running into an altogether enjoyable form of exercise.
On the other hand, we would be remiss if we didn’t mention one drawback, wearing running headphones does tend to filter out the outside world, which can sometimes be harmful. We have done our best to feature a headset for every person. So, those who periodically run in crowded locations can checkout AfterShokz Aeropex. It is one of the running headphones we have covered in our list. They were specifically designed for such situations.
Table of Contents
- How To Find A Suitable Pair Of Best Running Headphones For You?
- Best Running Headphones
- #1. Beats PowerBeats Pro
- #2. Sennheiser CX Sport wireless earphones
- #3. Jaybird X4 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- #4. Bose SoundSport Pulse Wireless Headphones
- #5. AfterShokz Aeropex Open-Ear Wireless Bone Conduction Headphones
- #6. Jabra Elite 85t True Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds
- #7. RHA 602035 Trueconnect
- #8. Adidas RPT-01 Bluetooth Sport On-ear Headphones
- #9. JBL X Under Armour Ua
- #10. Jaybird Vista
Running headphones need to be comfortable, snug, and secure to ensure that they don’t drop off while you are running or performing any exercise. So, the majority of them are manufactured with that goal and are either in-ear earphones or come with ear tips that are also known as ear hooks that help keep them in place.
While there is no harm in purchasing wired running headphones, wireless is more convenient and doesn’t limit your physical movements. Wireless earphones come in different forms. Where some are truly wireless, there are others where one side of the earphone is connected to the other.
Sweat and Water Resistance:
Promises of durability without water or seat resistance can be futile. Running or any form of exercise usually leads to sweating, and such a pair of headphones will be damaged due to prolonged exposure to sweat. That’s why you need to purchase earphones with IP ratings ranging from IPX4 and above. The higher the rating, the better for you.
If there is one part where the Bluetooth headset falls short as far as it’s battery life is concerned. Now, be careful when you look up the battery life for an earphone. One mentions the total battery life, which includes the standby time, whereas the other mentions standalone that is how long each earphone can last on one charge.
Headphone Type: In Ear earbuds | Water resistance : Sweat and water resistance | Sound Isolation: Yes | Standalone Battery Life: 9 Hours | Quick Charge: Fast Fuel ( 1.5 Hours Playback Charging in 5 minutes) | Bluetooth: Apple H1 Class 1
Compared to its predecessor, Beats Powerbeats have quite an energetic sound performance. The best part about these is that they offer a comfortable and snug fit, ensuring that they never all out while you are running. The ear hooks also play a major role in providing us that snug fit. They offer a truly hands-free experience with Siri, but that is more suitable for a quiet environment.
With a lot of noise, Siri might not be able to filter out your commands. The sound isolation, although available, might not work for everyone. These are one of the best headphones for running as you don’t have to wait around long for them to charge. The fast lighting cable ensures you get at least 1.5 hours of playback charging in 5 minutes.
- Superior Sound Quality.
- Secure and comfortable fit
- Long battery life
- Quick Charging powered by Apple
- Totally wireless high-performance earphones
- Up to 9 hours of listening time (more than 24 hours with charging case)
- Adjustable, secure-fit ear hooks for lightweight comfort and stability
Headphone Type: In Ear behind the ear earphones | Water resistance : Sweat and Splash Resistance | Sound Isolation: No | Standalone Battery Life: 6 Hours | Quick Charge: Available (fully charged in 1.5 hours) | Bluetooth: 4.2
Another headphone with superior sound quality to add to our curated list of the best headphones for running. It might seem a bit expensive, and while the overall sound quality is exceptional, the mids aren’t all up to the mark. The bass-heavy profile has been known to improve running, and we could immediately tell that it did work.
When you wear an earphone with compromised sound quality, it is a hurdle and might affect your running performance. In contrast to that, Sennheiser’s smooth performance works in runners’ favor. Additionally, the lighting charging cable ensures that you can add 1 hour to the playback time in just about 10 minutes.
- Trendy Design, created specifically for sport.
- Phenomenal Sound Quality.
- Comfortable and snug fit.
- Decent Quick Charge Feature.
- Sennheiser proprietary transducers, designed and engineered in Germany, deliver balanced and detailed sound with dynamic bass capability
- Sweat and splash resistant, designed to compliment your workout activities
- 6 hour battery life from a 1.5 hours charge. A 10 minute quick charge provides an additional 1 hour of battery life making sure the CX SPORT is ready to work out when you are
Headphone Type: In Ear behind the ear earphones | Water resistance : IPX7 Sweat and Waterproof | Sound Isolation: Passive Noise Isolation | Quick Charge: 1 Hours Playtime in 10 Minutes | Standalone Battery Life: 8 Hours
It’s IPX7 water and sweat resistant features are for those who sweat profusely and have also provided resistance to rain. Jaybird X4 is definitely an improvement on the previous models and was designed specifically for athletes and runners. It offers uncompromised sound quality and a feature to create your own sound profiles.
Furthermore, it also offers customization for the equalizer. For a better sound experience, you can also change the ear tips and ensure a secure fit. The passive noise isolation works as promised, and we can say the same for the quick charge feature.
- Excellent passive noise isolation.
- Adaptable Sound profiles and EQ customization.
- Compact and long-lasting sport design.
- High- level water and sweat resistance.
- 8 HOURS OF PLAY TIME Rechargeable battery provides 8 hours of bluetooth wireless play time on a 2 hour charge. Wireless range: Class 2 standard range 10m/33ft
- SWEAT & WATERPROOF IPX7 protection for gym and fitness workouts and running in all weather conditions
- SPORT FIT PLUS Comfortable headphone design runs over your ears for a secure sport fit or under for more relaxed situations
Headphone Type: In Ear behind the ear earphones | Water resistance: IPX4 Sweat and weather Resistance | Sound Isolation: No | Heart Rate Monitor: Yes | Standalone Battery Life: 6 Hours
Bose Soundsport comes in two variants, one SoundSport, and the other SoundSport pulse. We are featuring SoundSport pulse with its monitor, which we have tested and approved. Now, While the earphone in itself does not have passive noise reduction, it comes equipped with StayHear + ear tips, which ensure a snug fit and create a seal that leads to noise reduction.
These ear tips are washable and made from silicon. Bose provides an interesting feature that you can avail of through the Bose Connect app. It allows connection to more than one pair of earbuds.
- Exceptional Sound Quality.
- Great Heart rate Monitor.
- Comfortable and secure fit.
- Smooth unbreakable connectivity.
- Built in heart rate sensor makes it easy to track your performance. Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- Bluetooth and NFC pairing so you can connect to your devices wirelessly
- StayHear and Pulse tips provide a secure and stable fit for your most intense workouts ; Sound sport pulse wireless headphones do not employ noise reduction technology; To ensure an accurate reading, the sensor window (located on the left earbud) should be in contact with the skin; If the sensor stops providing a heart rate measurement, try adjusting the left earbud and verifying bluetooth connection to your device; If that doesn't restore function, wipe the sensor window with a damp cloth
Headphone Type: On Ear Behind the Neck Earphone | Water resistance : IP67 sweat and water resistance | Sound Isolation: NO | Standalone Battery Life: 8 Hours
These are a unique pair of running headphones. AfterShokz features bone conduction technology. It allows you to keep tabs on the outside world without filtering out the sound that helps you keep you alert when you are running. It works fascinatingly. The vibrations turned into sound are focused on your auditory nerve.
Compared to its previous model, it is much lighter and offers complete protection from profuse sweating and rain. Probably best suited for people who want to remain aware of the outside surroundings. It can also be used in an office environment where employees have remained aware of their surroundings. To stress the point, it does not offer sound isolation.
- Designed for facilitating situational awareness.
- Comfortable and secure fit.
- Long battery life.
- Completely Sweat and weather-resistant.
- EXCLUSIVE SPORT PACK - Includes Aeropex bone conduction headphones and sport belt. Unlike traditional headphones that send sound through the ear canals, our patented bone conduction technology delivers audio through the cheekbones. With nothing inside or over your ears, enjoy total awareness and comfort while you listen.
- BEST SOUND YET - Re-engineered for optimal sound delivery, Aeropex have broken the mold of bone conduction technology. Enjoy louder volume, 50% less sound leakage and wide dynamic stereo sound with PremiumPitch 2. 0+.
- LONGEST BATTERY LIFE - Enjoy 8 continuous hours of audio while you tackle your goals. Magnetic charging cables charge the headphones in 2 hours. 10 day standby time.
Headphone Type: On ear Earbuds | Water resistance : IPX4 water resistance | Sound Isolation: Active Noise Cancellation | Standalone Battery Life: 5.5 Hours | Quick Charge: Yes (1 Hours Playtime in 15 minutes) | Bluetooth: 5.0
When compared to most of the available running headphones in the market, this one is a powerhouse of features ranging from active noise canceling to lightning-fast charging. While they aren’t ideal for mountain climbing, they do quite well as running headphones. But they aren’t ideal for running on the beach as the IPX4 rating doesn’t offer much protection from dust.
And they offer a comfortable fit that will not budge while you are running. Furthermore, the active noise canceling offers adjustment levels for a personalized and comfortable experience. While not necessarily a feature that you might require during running, the 6-microphone tech allows you to have crystal clear calls.
- State-of-the-art Adjustable Active Noise Cancelling Feature.
- 6-microphone Tech for crystal clear sound.
- Comfortable fit for long durations.
- Equipped with Fast Charging time-saving cable.
- PREMIUM NOISE-CANCELLING EARBUDS – It turns out, you can have it all. Jabra Elite 85t Wireless Earbuds have been engineered with the most cutting-edge technology for a calls and music experience like never before
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE SOUND – Featuring Jabra Advanced Active Noise Cancellation technology, you can adjust your level of ANC (to cancel noise you don’t want to hear), or adjust your level of HearThrough mode (to let in what you do) using the Jabra Sound app
- CRYSTAL-CLEAR CALLS – With 6 mic technology and wind protection, you can make and take calls anywhere with these Bluetooth earbuds. Plus, the 12mm speakers offer big sound, powerful base, and amazing sound quality—all wrapped up in a super compact design
Headphone Type: In ear Earbuds | Water resistance : IPX5 sweat and water resistance | Standalone Battery Life: 5 Hours | Quick Charge: Yes (2.5 hours charging in 15 mins) | Bluetooth: 5.0
These are truly wireless headphones, unlike few others that have a cable connecting one side of the earphone to the other. Designed for comfort as well as superior call quality, this running earphone also features exceptional sound quality.
While the battery life might not seem ideal to many, it does have fast charging features that get the running earphones powered for 2.5 hours in 15 minutes. Additionally, it also features IPX5 sweat and water resistance for long and sweaty workout hours.
- Comfortable and snug fit that does not budge while running.
- Superfast quick charge feature with Cable.
- Decent sweat and water resistance.
- Great for both music and calls.
- 5hrs playback from a single charge + 20hr charging case with fast charge (15mins = 2. 5hrs).
- Sweat proof and water resistant to IPX5 certification for durable performance.
- Bluetooth 5 and stem design for exceptional connectivity, digital assistant control & Call quality.
Headphone Type: On Ear headphone | Water resistance : IPX4 sweat and splash resistant | Sound Isolation: No | Battery Life: 40 Hours | Bluetooth: 5.0
When you a brand like Adidas brings you sport headphones with promises that they would make your workout experience better, you better believe them. We have tested so many earphones, but none of them proved to be as durable and comfortable as Adidas RPT-01. These running headphones also offer washable ear cup covers that add more comfort to them.
And although they are ideal for running, they also work exceptionally well for other physical exercises such as burpees or box jumps. Additionally, it is a headphone with the longest playtime of more than 40 plus hours. Now, that is something so far none of the headphones have come close to. Overall it is a perfect headphone for athletes.
- A super trendy and durable headphone design.
- Amazing Battery life, the best we have seen.
- Removable washable ear cups cover.
- Great Sound Quality.
- Sweat proof & Water resistant (IPX4)
- Up to 40 hours of playtime
- Control knob for easy interaction
Headphone Type: In Ear Earbuds | Water resistance : IPX7 Water and sweat resistant | Sound Isolation: Isolating Ambient Aware Technology | Standalone Battery Life: 5 Hours
When two brands like JBL and Under Armour come together and build a one of a kind product, they are usually successful. When we first got news about it, we were really excited to try this one on.
A sport-design can last for a total of 25 hours, but the standalone time is around 5 hours with constant use. IF you sweat a lot and enjoy running when it’s raining outside, the IPX7 rating for sweetness and resistance might come in handy. Furthermore, the design for both earbuds and case masterfully created offers a classic look.
- Great fit and doesn’t budge.
- Amazing Water and Sweat Resistant.
- One-of-a-kind Sound Isolating Tech.
- Made from durable material.
- BIONIC HEARING: Using unique JBL sound and mic technology, Bionic Hearing allows you to hear your surroundings with two sound Technologies – TalkThru and Ambient Aware
- TALKTHRU TECHNOLOGY: With TalkThru Technology, music is lowered and speech is amplified so you can easily chat with a workout partner between sets
- AMBIENTAWARE: AmbientAware delivers a more immersive music experience while increasing ambient sounds, providing the safety of hearing your surroundings
#10. Jaybird Vista
Headphone Type: In ear earbuds | Water resistance : IPX7 sweat and water resistance | Sound Isolation: Yes | Standalone Battery Life: 6 Hours
Similar to JBL X Under Armour they do have this fascinating appearance that’s suitable for a large number of people. Like quite a few on this list, Jaybird Vista was built for the sole purpose of catering to runners.
Where others have been claimed best by users, Vista has won and Runner’s World Editor’s Choice Award as the best running headphones of 2019. As the design was built with exercise and running in mind, it is also crushed and drop-proof. And while numerous headphones brand promise durability they are rarely few who add such exclusive details in the warranty. Moreover, you can also track the earbuds with the Jaybird app.
- Premium charging case featuring a compact design.
- IPX7 water and sweat resistance.
- Highly durable, drop-proof, and crushproof.
- Awarding winning running earphones.
- Trackable earbuds by Jaybird App
- EARTHPROOF Fully waterproof crushproof dropproof and sweatproof IPX7 construction ensures Vista can withstand any workout running or weather conditions (Meets MIL-SPEC STD810G standards)
- ALWAYS READY Vista gives you 6 hours of audio on a full charge plus 10 more in the compact charging case for 16 hours of total charge and 32 hours If using one bud alone A 5-minute quick charge offering an hour of playtime
- CONNECTED Vista’s cutting-edge JBS1 true wireless bluetooth technology ensures high quality zero-lag stereo sound for music and calls and a reliable connection that pairs easily with your phone every time
Last update on 2021-03-05 at 22:07